Wednesday, February 2, 2011

signs of the time










If anyone wonders, we don't live in Florida anymore. Reminds me of the Wizard of Oz, "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore."
Likewise, I can assure you that it is not Daytona Beach either. But I can say with assurance that we did see a dusting of snow on our car windshield in December of 1988 in Bradenton. Yes, I can remember that far back so I guess that dimensia has not caught up with me (so far).
Forget the top photo for a moment (though all three of the pictures are out of windows of our Indianapolis hibernation cave # 227 in Wyndom Hall). The other pictures reflect the last few days. Snow and ice and sleet ("oh,my" - to borrow from the Wizard of Oz again). They say the thing that saved us for the most part was that we had sleet last night rather than freezing rain. In this area most of the power comes from underground cables which has helped. However, for 48 hours we haven't been able to get out of our end of the building because every time the sidewalks would be cleared, they'd ice up again. Therefore we haven't been able to deice the car and unseal the doors. The few people who did get out were, for the most part, unable to get their cars open either. Maybe in a couple of days I can make it to the pharmacy for a prescription or two. Meanwhile, I rumble about the apartment and keep asking Joyce, "Please, may I go out and play?" She glares at me and replies, "Don't act stupid", or something to that effect.
Meanwhile, the top picture offers a pretty hope for the future. It's not a typical
Gulf of Mexico sunset off Bradenton Beach, but it's not just black and while and cold, and icy. And yes, if you're wondering, it is Indianapolis.
When I think of it, I guess we're luckier than some who are struggling with two, three or more feet of drifting snow. I guess I'll sit back and enjoy my hibernation cave and look out the windows for the first sign of spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment